Being an "away"ian parent and African values

I wonder if there is still a place in our culture for tradition, reflecting core African tradition in greeting particularly. As a Yoruba man from western Nigeria, I still today this pay Obeisance to my Mum by prostrating when I see her in the morning and at my return from the days activities. I am passing on same to my child who is reluctant on certain days and excited on others.

I haven’t succeeded so far with teaching her Yoruba either. Her English is flawless for a 4-year old but beyond the morning greeting , her interest in Yoruba evaporates faster than alcohol in the hot sun. At times I feel like I am failing at parenting but, I just keep trying.

The British have sold us their culture and we have made it ours, I wonder if I am making a mistake by not exposing my child to more of it. I’d love to hear your thoughts on this.

3 Likes

Interesting. I think the parents have a lot of work to do. We have to make conscious effort to ensure we teach our children about our culture starting with our language. It won’t be straightforward but we have to commit to it.

1 Like

I can totally relate to that as well. All you can do is keep teaching. But in the big scheme of things in life, I focus on raising well rounded kids. And that’s the key IMO

2 Likes

you are spot on @Buss. But the question is “how does busy parents strike the balance in this environment”? Suggestions are welcome. thanks